Monday, October 5, 2009

Updated Posting re: Technology in the Performing Arts

Lakewood High School has been under construction for a year now.  A new Choir Room, a new Band Room and a new auditorium was going to be build and our rooms were to be demolished first. The only place large enough to hold band and choir classes was in the old auditorium.  I use the description auditorium loosely, as it really was nothing more than a lecture hall.  The band was using the same room in the afternoon, which meant the room had to be shared.  It was crammed full of the Choral Department teaching materials and the Instrumental Department teaching materials, plus all of the instruments, the choir risers, two desks, etc.  I think you can make a mental image of the mess we were teaching in. The light board was on the stage.  My classes met in the morning, so I had to find the light board and the switches in the dark.  The band students often forgot they were sharing the room, and seldom stacked the chairs or put their instruments away in an orderly fashion.  Every morning I had to step over, or trip over tubas, saxophones, music stands etc., to get across the stage to the light switches. I'll never forget the day the art teacher walked in.  He looked around and his mouth dropped open.  He said, "This looks like you're gettin' ready for a garage sale!"  Get the picture now??!!! 

However, the biggest hurdle I had to get over everyday was getting the kids to sing in that room. Now think about it.  It's 7:30 A.M. , the room is dim and the seating is comfy.  What would YOU feel like doing in that atmosphere?  Duh! SLEEP!  Yup!  That's what they wanted to do.  I saw first hand what light deprivation does to the psyche.  It was an uphill battle all year. I started taking notes as to how long it took them to start yawning when they walked in.  Don't forget - it was also our first year in the Trimester Schedule.  That meant the classes were now SEVENTY-TWO MINUTES LOOOOOONG! The situation was almost unbearable.  I had to keep reminding the students that the outcome would be fabulous.  And it was!  And the kids and I deserve it! :)

I would like to thank all of you for your comments and support for the specialty classes.  It was nice to know so many of you do have compassion for the ARTS!  My choir room is complete and my new office is huge and it has windows all across the back wall from the floor to the ceiling!  I can see daylight again!!!  The kids are happy and bright and eager to learn.  Also, it looks like my music computer lab will be receiving the hardware and software I was holding my breath for. The construction has not gone far enough over budget to cause the omission of our computer equipment this year.  Yippee!  It would be great to have you all visit my room so I could show you how wonderful it is.