Friday, October 16, 2009
Observations in my classroom
More and more I’m becoming aware of how technology can be better facilitate student learning. I was blessed this year with a study class for special needs students the first hour of each day. They have labeled the class High School Transitions. One student is fortunate enough to own and bring his laptop computer with him. Through my observations, I have become aware of how much more work this student does and is focused on the entire hour. It is obvious to me; it is because he has a computer to use. Our building doesn’t have wireless access, so I know he is composing essays and answering questions for his Science Class that has been downloaded onto his desktop. Due to the construction at our school, the Performing Arts Computer Lab is not available as yet, so the other seven students are not able to access a computer. Hopefully, the computers will be available by the beginning of the second trimester. Unfortunately, that will be too late for these eight students to utilize computers during their Transitions Class. Through my research of freeware for EDU 590, I have become aware of many educational games and activities the students needing extra help would find useful. If nothing else, it keeps them busy all hour with something educational, if they finish their homework.

